Well, our yearly visit to the ear doctor was not missed this year...and now Tessa can hear again. Yes, last week she got her 5th set of tubes, or grommets as they call them over here. We went in to have her ears checked in January because we could tell she was not hearing well. There was a lot more "What?" and her voice is consistently louder. The doctor did a few quick tests and he did the same tests on me so I could hear what 'noises' she was referring to as 'quiet.' I was amazed at how much wasn't hearing!
She was very brave during the surgery and did not shed a tear. The worst part of it for her is the anesthesia. She doesn't like having the 'mask' over her nose and mouth. In fact, minutes before she was wheeled into the operating room she started asking the anesthetist if 'the prick' way of falling asleep was better. Oh, Tessa...Fortunately, I am able to be in the operating room with while she goes to sleep. The surgery itself, is quick and easy and there is no pain afterwards. That afternoon she said that everything seemed loud and that I was talking really loud...hmmm....maybe I need to get tubes...
 |
| A new hairstyle by big sister Allie |
A funny side note: she couldn't eat or drink anything before the surgery, so I told her that I brought along some Goldfish for afterwards. When we were back in rocovery, she asked me if she could have the Goldfish. I was a bit leary, thinking that she's probably not supposed to eat anything quite yet, but she had a bad taste in her mouth from the anesthesia and the juice they gave her wasn't cutting it. I gave her 3 Goldfish and said she could have more when they let us go home. Sure enough, as soon as she ate the 3 little fishies, her stomach hurt and she thought she might get sick. I'm thinking that now I'm caught; they'll know when she gets sick that I fed her something and then I will get a lecture... Not to keep you in suspense, Tessa pulled through, didn't get sick and we were discharged soon afterwards and she was able to eat the rest of the Goldfish.
No comments:
Post a Comment