Saturday, April 9, 2011

Random thoughts and grocery shopping...

Today was absolutely gorgeous! 20 or so and sunny! The girls and I took a bike ride to our favorite park and I saw my first person fall into a canal, although it was a bit of a let down. It was a 5 year old kid, leaning over a dock in a wee baby canal at the park. He proceded to stand up and the water was maybe waist deep. Then we had the pleasure of hearing him cry for the next 15 min. Did that sound bad, what I just wrote?? Ooops....the Dutch are getting to me. Then we biked to get gelato. Is it bad that gelato guy knows our favorite flavors and calls us by name?? 

We got home around 6pm and realizing that we had no real dinner food and milk was just about out, I went to my favorite place, Albert Hein, the main grocery store chain here. I never go on Saturdays, because it is too busy.  Most stores aren't open during the evenings so anyone who works, has to do most of their shopping on Sat, because most stores are closed on Sundays as well. I should have settled on the cereal that was in our cabinet. The store was crazy with Dutchies and huge carts of food! They were clearing off the shelves like it was a fire sale. I went to get 6 things. Here is how I faired. No brat buns, no carrots, only small loaves of sandwich bread, 2 milks left, of which I snaggged both of them, and a good supply of brats and weiner schnitzel. Score in the meat department. 18 months ago this would have frustrated me to no end...now? I find it absolutely hillarious.

As Americans we expect a few things in regards to grocery stores:
  1. They will be open 24/7
  2. Food will be on the shelves and in no way, completely out of stock
  3. If it is out of stock, you can kindly ask a clerk and they will magically find more in the back
  4. You will be able to find everything on your shopping list
The Dutch expect a few things as well:
  1. There will be a place to lock up their bike outside the store
  2. They will need to provide their own bags or purchase them in line
  3. They will need to bag their own groceries
  4. There will be Edam or Gouda cheese available
I think Americans would be much happier if they had the same expectations as the Dutch.

No comments:

Post a Comment